The never-ending conflict between tradition and modernity has a determinative place in Iranians’ memory. Therefore, the problem of identity and the sense of suspension are the two shared themes in Iranian architectural studies and Iranian cinema (since the forties). Since architecture has always been one of the main footmarks of modernity in Iran, it has always played a crucial role in Iranian cinema as well. Tehran, with its history of different conflicting modernization plans, has hosted the majority of Iranian cinema, as the representative of modernity in Iran. The lack of a cohesive plan to preserve the contemporary architectural heritage in different political periods has created an identity crisis in Tehran’s architectural memory. On the other hand, Iranian contemporary architecture has a significant role in Iranian contemporary theatre, especially in site-specific performances. This project will focus on the role of the audience’s cinematic memory of Iranian contemporary architecture in perceiving the sense of place in site-specific case studies. This project will also focus on the performances’ agency in the process of amplifying and stimulating the spectator’s cinematic memory.
- Call for Papers: Book Chapter “Psychosomatic Imagery”: Photographic Reflections on Mental Disorders January 26, 2021
- Online Workshop Building Bridges: Activists and Cultural Researchers in Conversation January 21, 2021
- Critique(s) of Violence Online Workshop: What does it mean to abolish (state power)? January 21, 2021
- Soapbox Call for Papers: Impasse January 4, 2021
- Film in Context Series December 16, 2020