Workshop ‘Covering Russia’s War on Ukraine: Local Media Professionals and Open-Source Investigators’
Date: 12-13 October, 2023
Location: Voxpop (Amsterdam) and online
Organizers: Lonneke van der Velden, Johana Kotišová, Olga Burlyuk, Guillén Torres Sepulveda
Registration: Participation is free of charge, but registration is required. To register, please send an email to J.Kotisova@uva.nl and indicate whether you want to join us remotely or in person
Credits: 1 ECTS Global conflicts are increasingly documented and covered by people outside of the journalistic mainstream: locally hired media professionals, remote open-source investigators, local eyewitnesses, activists, and data publics. Together, they create complex and heterogeneous ecosystems. These groups have diverse goals, kinds of proximity to the war, and work with varying sets of values and fact-finding procedures. In this two-day hybrid workshop, we bring together 1) ‘foreign’ and ‘local’ media professionals covering the Russo-Ukrainian War and the Israeli occupation of Palestine; 2) NGOs and open-source investigators documenting and archiving human rights violations in the Russo-Ukrainian War; and 3) academics to share their work, insights, and experience, and to discuss the ethics of collaboration among these various groups of actors in conflicts.
For an updated version of the program, follow this link.
- Lonneke van der Velden, Faculty of Humanities, Media Studies (L.C.vanderVelden@uva.nl)
- Johana Kotišová, Faculty of Humanities, Media Studies (J.Kotisova@uva.nl)
- Olga Burlyuk, Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Department of Political Science
- Guillén Torres Sepulveda, Faculty of Humanities, Media Studies
Are you a student?
If you are a ResMA student or a Ph.D. candidate affiliated with a Dutch university, you can gain 1 ECTS by participating in the seminar and fulfilling credit requirements. Please register by 4 October by sending an email J.Kotisova@uva.nl (indicate that you want to register as a student and whether you want to join us remotely or in person). Conditions for obtaining ECTS:
- Attendance, reading (approx. 8 hours), preparation (1 hour), and active participation in the closing session on 13 October.
- Assigned reading and further instructions will be announced after the registration deadline.